Thursday, May 8, 2008

James Franco/466


James Franco in 'Pineapple Express'

Per Courtney's request, I'm writing a (much delayed) blog about James Franco's attendance to the final 466 screening, "The Pineapple Express." Courtney mentioned that she was surprised that none of us at the screening had blogged about him as a celebrity sighting, which got me thinking about what constitutes a legitimate celebrity sighting. And while I saw him, which would technically equate to a "sighting," I still don't think it really counts... He was set up for us to look at and ask questions; he was there to be a movie star and promote his movie, and we were there to be fans and to learn from him. The balance is off -- whereas, if you spot a celeb in their natural habitat, eating dinner at your restaurant or hiking where you hike, or stopping at the same stoplight as you , you're on the same level; suddenly, they're just people, too, doing the same every day stuff. As Us Weekly puts it, "Stars: They're Just Like Us!" And most of the time, when we spot them around town, they are just like us... But for a star to come to a class, presented as a star, seated in front of us screening his multi-million-dollar movie, well, that's about as far from being just like us as one could get.

2 comments:

Courtney said...

I was actually more curious to find out what everyone's reactions to James Franco were, particularly in light of everyone's excitement over Veronica's encounter with him earlier in the semester. Since I'm course staff, I probably shouldn't say what I thought...

Olivia Typaldos said...

Wait a second...why did we not get anyone half as interesting or attractive for 466 last semester? Instead we watched a semester's worth of crappy movies and I missed out on a Q&A with the one celebrity I legitimately want to marry.