Monday, March 10, 2008

B-List Celebrities aren't worth it


This entry will be short because I am actually taking a break from working on the midterm, BUT I thought I would share that I recently experienced an interesting celebrity sighting and even more interesting social observation from it.  I was at Winston's the other night, a popular bar in West Hollywood, when I noticed John Cho (Harold & Kumar Series), sitting in the corner at a VIP table with a friend.  NO ONE was paying attention to him whatsoever, and I suppose thats how it should be, he is just a normal person, living a normal life and wants to socialize on a normal Friday night.  Later on that evening I get a bbm (instant message for blackberry customers) from a girlfriend of mine wanting to know if Winton's is "poppin", at this point, there are a lot of people so I tell her to come over.  She and and another friend of ours arrives and greet us to which she informs us she needs to make the rounds to see if she knows anyone here.  She comes back empty handed, takes one more glance around and rudely lets us know she has to stop by some other places before the night is over.  Now mind you, this is a girl who loves to see and be seen.  She rates a place by who is there if there is a chance of rubbing shoulders with someone famous, I'm sure in desperate hopes some male celebrity will fall in love with her and she will get to live the life of lights and glamor.  Apparently, John Cho was not important enough for her or for that matter anyone else in the bar.  I find this interesting: what makes a celebrity get that allure? Being Crazy? Punching Paparazzi? I mean, this guy didn't even have the paparazzi tailing him, yet he is in one of the biggest modern youth/stoner cult films ever. What reminded me about this whole incident was I at the magazine stand and he happened to be on the cover of something, I forget what publication specifically it was, but something of a household name. Ironic? I think so.

No comments: