Sunday, April 20, 2008

Beckham and the L.A. Galaxy

(Banner in the Home Depot Center where the Galaxy plays)

In the past two weekends, I have been to two of the L.A. Galaxy's soccer games. Since David Beckham recently left England to come play for L.A.'s soccer team, you can probably guess my reasoning for going to these games in the first place (although I do call soccer one of my favorite sports, having played it for four or five years when I was younger). As seen at both games, I can definitely say that Beckham is one of the few celebrities equally loved by men (well, I suppose male soccer fans more specifically) and women. Male fans taunted the other team by chanting, "we have David Beckham" while female fans stared wide-eyed at him. Before attending these games, all I knew of Beckham was that he was a soccer (or football, if you will) player, married to one of my favorite Spice Girls, and everyone thought he was hot. I never had much interest in him probably because I don't follow soccer and have never seen him in his quintessential form. But, after these two Galaxy games, I have to say I've become a huge fan (I just bought a Beckham t-shirt/jersey). Not only is he just plain hot, he is incredibly talented and every time he got the ball on the field, he whisked by all the other players with speed and fancy footwork, ultimately making a perfect pass to someone else on the team. Basically, he lived up to all of the hype. I don't know too much about sports and its celebrities, but I have to say that any amount of celebrity achieved by a sports player is certainly warranted because you can in no way become famous without being a phenomenal player. That said, I will be going to many Galaxy games in the future!

2 comments:

Ceri Glowacki said...

Well I just wanted to comment on the whole David Beckham phenomenon, because I have been an avid soccer player my entire life. In addition to my love for the game, my family is from Britain, so I was raised to love the English football team. Honestly, I must say I liked Beckham first for his soccer, and then realized how extremely good looking he was. He's been recognized for his game longer than he has been recognized for his sex appeal, and it seems he only became the sex symbol he is now since his attachment to Victoria. Its interesting to see how people can become more attractive and popular when they are associated with someone (like Posh Spice) who had such strong sex appeal already attached to her. I think this happens more often than we realize with celebrities.

ddman1212 said...

I really love the two of them together. After watching Barbara Walter's special with the most fascinating people, I realized just how much I love them as a couple. I remember watching soccer games a few years back and trying to figure out his corner kick and I could never figure it out. Now that he and Posh are together they have formed a SUPER couple. I read an interesting article talking about Posh and Eva Longoria's new friendship. The idea of the jock and the hot cheerleader being a couple and how these two women have their jocks.