Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Core Response #5: Big Brother and Shakespeare?

In reading John Harley's article I had to wonder whether he had seen the Shakespeare productions and reality TV shows that I had. I just cannot imagine making a connection between the two, a Shakespeare play is well scripted, produced and a complete break from the reality of life; a reality TV show, at least in my mind, is like watching a train wreck. In a Shakespeare production the actors and text are telling the audience what to think, moving and speaking to convey a certain message. In a reality show the interactions of the cast members are not scripted, although they are probably carefully cut together to give an impression of reality; they do not teach lasting societal lessons, except maybe that we have too much time on our hands.

In reality (no pun intended) Reality TV is not intended to last or be repeated; it is a one time only thing, whereas even if Shakespeare plays were not intended to be seen again by the same audience they were expected to be performed again, whether by the same actors or others. The plays were created in order to be preserved, to teach, and to entertain, while reality TV is not intended to be preserved or to teach. The interactions of the members of the cast are no more important than everyday interactions by other human beings, although they are on a larger scale. I am sure that the cast is meant to be relatable to the audience, but I do not believe that the cast is chosen for their social value.

I have not watched Big Brother, my reality TV show of choice is The Amazing Race, but I have to assume that the shows are similar at least in the way that contestants interact with one another. I can relate to the cast but not to their experiences nor to the screaming fights that contestants have in the middle of public spaces. When I sit down and watch The Taming of the Shrew I can relate to the characters, recognize them as plucked from life, and I can put myself in the situations that they face. I do not feel such a connection to reality TV contestants, and frankly I find the comparison insulting.

No comments: