Tuesday, April 22, 2008

In Response to both Neon and Annie's Posts

We screened Baby Mama in 466 two weeks ago. Circle of trust/truth/love in place, I was excited to see it too, though I would never let my over-excitement show to the group of guys I attend class with. I had been a fan of both Amy Poehler and Tina Fey for years as well, and knew that with the trailers I've seen, this film would be golden. Unfortunately, the film sort of fell flat for me. It's definitely funny and I laughed out loud a number of times, yet it does lack the staying power that films like Old School and Animal House have. Most of the funny parts can be seen in the various trailers circling around, and the plot is predictable throughout. I am interested, however, to see how well it does and to read more reviews as they are released. But this really got me thinking, what about a film gives it staying power? Is it witty quotes that allow us to use over and over in our average speech (think borat, high five!). Is it our favorite actors doing crazy and unthinkable things (think Will Ferrel in just about everything). Maybe these women actresses are just not famous enough yet to leave such a lasting impression. Maybe Annie is right, maybe we are a little bit taken back by funny women and estrogen-led comedies. At any rate, let me know what you guys think of the film when you see it.

In Diablo's case, I think she did somehow tap into America's funny bone with a film as shitty as Juno. Many of my friends have attempted to employ Juno quotes into their own lives, yet fall strikingly short as it is just too mundane and all too similar to the way your most boring friend tells stories. Yet maybe her success story has given her a sort of American Dream-like appeal that allows the shortcomings of the film (which for me, there were many) to be more acceptable to the academy. I'm not sure if many of you have heard about her latest masterpiece, which will tell the story about a man-eating cheerleader, played by Megan Fox. My friend actually auditioned for a part in the film, and I was able to read a short segment of the script. To me there just has to be something more to her than her screenplays as they continue to fall flat for me. It is sad when her story gets more credit than someone who is genuinely funny like Tina Fey, yet I guess thats the mystique of Hollywood.

No comments: