Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Celebrity Sightings outside of Los Angeles

I was surprised when, on a recent trip to New York City, I came across more celebrities in one afternoon than I do in several days in Los Angeles.  Much to my excitement, I was seated across from Ryan Gosling at a midtown bar.  Earlier that day, I had gone for a walk in Central Park and came across Kyra Sedgewick. There seemed to be a very different "vibe" in these sightings than the ones I've had in Los Angeles.  Both celebrities made eye contact and smiled pleasantly. There were no baseball caps, dark glasses, or entourage.  It was rather refreshing!

1 comment:

ddman1212 said...

That is really interesting. It seems like there is not set formula or way that celebrities act. I know a friend that saw Ryan Gosling and he was in a baseball hat, but that was in LA.

I will admit the I watch Dancing with the Stars, which is really an interesting thing to exmanine with what we have learned in this class. The reason I bring this up is because I recently saw Shannon Elizabeth at a cafe in Silver Lake. It was really weird because as soon as I saw her I saw American Pie. In particular the scene where she undresses which made me think about the gaze. As a male viewer, the film was produced in such a way that the scene with her stands out in comparison to the rest of the movie. The narrative even addresses this fact with the web cams for the whole school to see.

It was just weird having a sighting and remebering her in that particular scene.