Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Madonna featuring Justin Timberlake & Timbaland: Four Minutes

I have to say, although the readings did somewhat change how I see her, I was surprised by the almost total negative response that everyone has been having towards Madonna. I do agree with the arguments about her use and exploitation of black and gay cultures, which is why I find this video so fitting because it includes someone who has based his entire career as a solo artist on appropriating black culture and more specifically, Michael Jackson. I think that if we're going to hold Madonna accountable for exploiting other cultures, then the same needs to be done for Justin as well because he almost completely reincarnates Michael Jackson in this video both in his singing and dancing (and certainly this isn't the first time that he's done so). I think that regardless of her relationship to other cultures, Madonna is at least original (it's sometimes hard to remember that since what she's done has pretty much become the norm for many female entertainers), which is much more than I can say for Justin Timberlake, although I have yet to hear anyone criticize the nature of his stardom.

No comments: