Sunday, February 10, 2008

Alison Jackson

In my "Experimentals" theatre class, my professor handed us an article about the work of Alison Jackson. After doing some research on her, I think her work has a very interesting and relevent correlation with our core examinations in this class.

Ms. Jackson creates photographs (usually of compromising situations) with people who look identical to celebrities/public figures. She claims that part of her interest in this kind of photography (which some would deem as having very little to do with "art") has to do with her fascination with the voyeruistic qualities of all people. Why does seeing the Queen of England on the toilet produce a certain kind of thrill? Her work also addresses our faith that what we see must be reality. In reference to her mission she said in an interview with The Times (London) "I'm trying to break down the image as a false God. Haven't people always been reliant on images? That's right, I mean, who's Jesus for God's sake?"

I would love to hear your reactions to these photos...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I recently saw a news story on her when she had a new book published. I thought that her photographs were really interesting. What is our interest in seeing our favorite, almost untouchable celebrities in compromising positions? I really don't have an answer, but I was definitely intrigued by her photos.