Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Celebrities we love to hate.

I've been think recently about celebrities that we love to hate, people who essentially become villains because of opinions or simply because of their existence. For me that celebrity comes in the form of Ann Coulter, conservative political commentator. I'm starting to realize that for me the dislike of Ann Coulter isn't just that she can be a completely heartless person during interviews and that she makes unbelievable comments; I like having something that I can quickly connect with other liberals on, and in this case it's that Ann Coulter is crazy.
I have found that Ann Coulter is someone that I actually enjoy actively disliking. I do not just ignore her every time that she comes on TV or she is mentioned in the news somewhere. I am unsure as to why I actually prefer to have an active dislike for a woman that I have never met than to just ignore her; I think that it has something to do with knowing the enemy, but that does not explain the interest in celebrity hating in daily life for most people. While it does make sense that if someone is making political statements that I strongly disagree with I might want to know what they are saying since it could very much threaten my rights; that just does not make sense when it comes to the strong dislike of Paris Hilton or other celebrities who do not make strong or any political statements.
Perhaps the fact that we love to hate celebrities has more to do with jealousy than it does with an actual dislike for the person. I have never felt any strong emotions for Paris Hilton, but I know many people seem to hate her because she is rich, and essentially she is famous because of it. I wonder about this because while I can explain my own political hatred for Ann Coulter I find it difficult to explain the hatred for Paris Hilton or other celebrities.

1 comment:

Tara McPherson said...

We'll come back to some of these issues near the end of term. There's also some great scholarship from feminist TV studies about viewers and their love/hate relationship to the villainess in TV series....