Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Core Response #2


I guess reading Eckert’s essay was most interesting to me as it is difficult for me to imagine consumerism and Hollywood as separates.  He argues that Hollywood played a major role in America’s infatuation with consumerism, highlighting the shifts, yet I see the two things as one.  To me, Hollywood is consumerism, and consumerism is Hollywood.  Living here, we are privileged to see first hand this consumerism whether driving down Sunset or shopping on Robertson.  Especially today, with the intense and rising coverage, blogs, etc. it is difficult to imagine a time when Hollywood was not linked to consumerism.  And why shouldn’t stars align themselves with products and companies?  I’d say the relationship is most symbiotic.

I’m actually glad that I chose to write this week, though I must admit I simply had to find a slot that would work.  But it works well with something I’ve been debating about writing about for a few days now.  As some of you may know, I’m a big Disney guy.  I find myself still listing the animated films from my childhood as favorites today.  I loved the hype around Pirates, and more than any corporation in the world, I don’t mind being shamelessly carried along through various marketing ploys and campaigns. I fall victim to everything Disney because of their relentless marketing. In addition, I like to analyze Disney because it is so many things in the purest of senses.  (Even Laura Mulvey’s gazes can be seen in most Disney films).  Well, this past weekend, I saw Hannah Montana’s 3D Concert.  Yes, I realize that most guys in their 20’s would never admit that. Disney definitely intrigued me with the whole concept of having a concert in theaters, not too mention the fact that it was also in 3D! 

However, I could not have been more disappointed.  I had felt like there was an obvious lack of production in the piece.  Most of the bonus footage looked like it had been shot on a home video camera.  The shots didn’t match up, the editing was off (including different outfits within the same song?!), and the sound was clearly a poor mix of live singing, and major pro-tool correction.  For the first time, I looked at Disney for what it truly is, not just pixie dust and wishes, but a corporation, looking to milk everything for what its worth (even 14 year old girls).  I felt like they had put no money into its production, yet knew that it would make money (which it did).

So for me, in short, the article rang pretty true this week.  I just had a difficult time imagining Hollywood and consumerism as separate things, as it has become so apparent that the two are one today.

No comments: