Friday, February 22, 2008

"Gossip is probably as old as the cavemen"

Every time I go to the airport, I have a personal crisis regarding reading material.  I inevitably have weighed down my bag with the book I'm reading, the book I would like to start reading, and the book I know I should be reading.  However, my pull toward the magazine stands (despite completely absurd prices) is undeniable.  I usually board my flight with "People," "Star," "In Touch," and (the more acceptable) "In Style."  It is like candy and I am like a five year old.  I always am sure to fold back the cover so no one around me will judge me too harshly for reading a magazine that's lead story revolved around Britney's mother's love affair with K. Fed.

Watching this video has made me feel at least a little bit better about my airport attraction to "trash."  I suppose gossip is a natural (and as long as it doesn't get too nasty) harmless tendency.  Sometimes I'll feel bad for the actors whose lives are dissected in a fabricated fashion every week, but my sympathy wavers when I realize there are many actors (young and old) who manage to lead their lives without papparazzi interference.  As I've now been in several social situations with celebrities whose publicists have called papparazzi regarding their client's social plans for the evening, I realize that many celebrities put themselves in the magazines (and enjoy the process of doing so).  

No comments: