Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Tourists in Los Angeles



So I was eating lunch at Cheesecake Factory in Beverly Hills on a typical tuesday and the table next to us consisted of two moms and two girls probably between 14-17 years old.  This group was not from Los Angeles, which I always find fascinating, being a LA Native: why people visit here.  "Hollywood" (blvd) is gross yet tourism is huge.  I am sure its the same concept as me visiting New York, which I do often, however I don't do the typical attractions, but this is neither here nor there. None the less, I get a kick out LA Visitors.  The best part was their discussion of star sightings and more or less the point of their trip out to the land of Hollywood.  In fact, as they sat there eating, they traded pictures they took while visiting and went over the plans to track down their next star.  They some how knew where and when he was going to be and how one of the mothers was going to orchestrate a diversion so her daughter could get a picture with him.  They then took turns talking about how long each one of them was going to spend touching him, or simply being in his presence.  They went over their collection of photos like baseball cards and after lunch as I was walking back to my car, they walked into Ritz Camera, presumably to load up on more film and/or to pick up the reels they left to get developed.

Now here I am eavesdropping and studying them just like they do with the stars, so quite frankly I am just as guilty and the point I keep coming back to this semester is by talking about them here and studying them, I have just made them a celebrity of sorts.  I am putting allure and fascination into these people and making their dream live on just like they do with the star they were stalking.

Unfortunately, I did not catch who they were talking about for their next prey but none the less, what a treat to witness!!

No comments: