Monday, February 11, 2008

Core Response #3: John Wayne

Before reading Wills' essay on John Wayne, I hadn't really thought about his effects on society and culture, though I was well aware of the many dedications across town commending his talents, including various places on campus, and the airport down in Orange County.  In addition, I hadn't really been exposed to many of his films.  However, having read the Wills article, I am left with a bit of Wayne-olatry myself.

I am left wondering who, today, can even come close in comparison to Wayne, or even begin to be compared to as the perfect American.  Are there any celebrities that embody those ideals of America?  I am also intrigued as the article stresses his size and ability to move gracefully.  So many times today we hear how small celebrities are in person (read the previous post!).  And I'd completely agree!  I'm uncertain as to if we have a masculine celebrity in which to attach such attributes to compare to our nation or nationalism.

I noticed while watching Stagecoach last week the demand that he calls for in each shot, as noted in the article.  I'm having a difficult time thinking of anyone in the movies that does this anymore.  It seems to me that every George Clooney film I've ever seen is shot in order to make him look more powerful, handsome, etc.  

This article really makes me wonder if, at this point in America, then, masculinity and power are what embodies America.  Maybe it is change, transition, materialism, capitalistic, that characterizes America, in which case I can find several of today's actors that fall into this category.  Maybe our ideals as a nation have changed, changing they way Hollywood views masculinity and nationalism.  At any rate, maybe some sort of nostalgia for past American ideologies is what keeps John Wayne's fame burning long after his death.

What do you guys think?  Can you think of anyone that stands similar to John Wayne in his indisputable role of being the "ideal Western"?  

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The reading raised a lot of similar questions for me. Wills discusses how Wayne filled a need for Americans, saying, "He stood for an America people felt was disappearing or had disappeared, for a time 'when men were men.'" After reading this, I wondered if there were any stars onto whom we project our cultural desires or needs. What are our desires or needs as a society right now? I feel like it's a little more difficult to tell now because fame seems more fleeting than it was in the past. I know that the entertainment industry has always been fickle about its stars, but we seem to be seeing more "It" girls and boys becoming wildly popular very quickly then fading just as fast. Is it even possible to attain the kind of iconic status that John Wayne had in 2008? And I do mean iconic status--not infamy.

The reading also raised a question for me about the allure of John Wayne. While watching "Stagecoach," I did not feel that he seemed invincible. I just didn't feel the pull towards him that his contemporary audience did. I wonder if this is because we have different ideas of stars now and are drawn to different things or if it was just me personally. What has changed, if anything?