Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Images of Masculinity Outside the US

I meant to put this up last week...but alas I forgot. It does fit a bit with this weeks discussion of sexuality but on masculinity instead. I found this music video by the ridiculously popular Columbian pop singer Juanes. (Maybe some of you are familiar.) I thought it would be worth while to show this video for its depiction of masculinity in Columbia as opposed to what you generally see in US music videos. We discussed a bit about the "Latin lover" ideal in Valentino, but I think its interesting to see a star portrayal from another country. In light of this week's topic, I also think its relevant to look for the differences in perception of sexuality. Many of Juanes' songs are love songs (and that probably has something to do with his popularity amongst teen girls) but this video in particular shows a vulnerability and simultaneous spectacle of voyeuristic pleasure that I think is often considered too effeminate for the US male pop idol. Could you picture Justin Timberlake or whoever else doing something similar? Granted the entire video is uncharacteristic of its US counterparts but I think it does say something about cultural standards.

2 comments:

Tara McPherson said...

Fascinating! It's interesting to think about how pop/rock stars in general seem able to push sexuality in different, more daring directions than movie/TV stars. And I definitely agree that ethnicity plays into this one...

Olivia Typaldos said...

I've actually seen Juanes in concert a few times and I have to say, every time I leave, the first thing my friends and I say to each other is "did you see how pretty his hair is?!" Seriously. It's stupid (especially since his concerts are actually really good) but it's interesting that he can be effeminate in that way yet remain a legitimate, unquestioned singer/heartthrob.