Tuesday, February 12, 2008

weird

I had a weird experience the other day. I went to the Grove in an unsuccessful attempt to get some jeans. I was feeling lazy and casual so I wore some yoga pants and a sweater, and I hadn’t showered so I wore a hat with a ponytail out the back. The last accessory was the key, because I had gotten lasik a few days before my eyes were extra sensitive to sun and so I also wore sunglasses. I noticed a couple, clearly tourists, staring at me while I was contemplating my next store move. Then it hit me, for a second they thought they might have spotted a celeb incognito. I was then conscious of it and saw a few more hoping I was more interesting than I was, all tourists (I think most LA natives know celebrities don’t shop at the Grove, although I have seen a couple at the theaters there.) It was bizarre that anyone could have momentarily thought I was famous.

This, of course, made me think our class. It brought to mind the ideas of stars and fashion from last weeks readings I thought it interesting that movies stars were historically the glamorous, but now it’s the opposite. If I had looked glamorous nobody would have looked twice, stars are now known for their fashionable casual. Anybody that knew anything about fashion would have spotted that my pants were on sale from the gap and my sweater was a hand-me-down from my sister, but to the untrained eyes of some tourists who knows. The art of looking perfectly shabby chic is now the most copied Hollywood look. You see this all over, with $50 tee shirts and second hand stores that costs three times as much as new. Because our star chasing culture has made every aspect of celebs lives public, they set the fashion from PJs to ball gowns. This means more money to be made from stars and people everywhere are buying it all.

1 comment:

Jessica Thompson said...

That's actually really funny, it's happened to me too. Over the summer I was on the 10 freeway and some paparazzi started following me and taking my picture... it really is the sunglasses I swear, when I took them off they looked really disappointed and sped off. It was a really weird situation, I don't even know who they thought I was.