Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Reading Response Week 4 - Inspiration for Us to Buy Things

Each of this week’s articles discusses the relationship between Cinema, the Star Image, and Consumerism. The following statement really stood out to me in Eckert’s article,
“[Cinema Fashions} agreed with the studios that cheaper fashions, even though they would be eagerly received, would destroy the aura of exclusivity that surrounded a Norma Shearer or Loretta Young style. Cheaper lines might also cheapen the stars themselves, imperiling both box-office receipts and the Hollywood fashion industry (34).”
So at what point in history did they decide that it was ok to cheapen a star’s image…or that selling cheap clothing under a star’s name doesn’t cheapen the celebrity’s image as long as the demographic is little girls at Walmart? There is no question that star-branded clothing is still for sale today but what is different from the 1930s is that it is very cheap. Not all of it, of course. We still have Victoria Beckham designing Rockin Republic Jeans for over $350 per pair (and they are cute too…). Is VB’s image more exclusive than that of Miley Cyrus’ (whose clothing is much, much cheaper)? Maybe it is a little more ‘posh,’ but I don’t think anyone can argue that Cyrus’ is ‘imperiled’ by cheap products. In little girls’ eyes, the products are simply attainable and that is most important.
Also in Eckert’s article, the paragraph ending page 35 brought up an enlightening explanation of why every time I pick up Glamour magazine it is as though all the articles were written just for me. “…one senses that those who bought these things were not varied as to age, marital status, ethnicity, or any other characteristics…one girl – single, nineteen years old, Anglo-Saxon, somewhat favouring Janet Gaynor (35).” I didn’t know who Janet Gaynor was, but after reading this article I inferred that I would probably favor her, so I looked her up. For anyone who wondered, she was a very successful actress (A Star is Born) who until 1986 was the youngest leading woman to win an Oscar. It’s most probable we would have ‘favored’ her because she openly believed that, “Good things come to people who wait.”
But back to the point about products being advertised for ‘one girl.' I don’t precisely fit that ‘one girl’s’ description and most women in America don’t...but when I am being advertised to, I feel like her. Do you think that they still advertise to this ‘one girl?’ When we read articles/advertisements do we read them as though we were her? (displacing ourselves and maintaining desires as though we were a fantasized image)
And though I know I’ve now gone over my word limit, I just want to throw out there that I loved the Dyer’s “Stars as Types” section – I had the same thought as Julie – it’s just like high school.

2 comments:

Samantha Santana said...

I agree with you. I too don't feel like the "one girl" stereotype being advertised to because I definitely do not fit model. But, when latin women are used to sell a certain style or product, I am immediately attracted to it because I am a latin. I guess I fit into the minority catagory of advertising.

Anonymous said...

I think that there's something to be said for the target audiences of these star branded goods. For little girls who are fans of Miley Cyrus/Hannah Montana or even back when the Olsen Twins were huge stars with that crowd, Wal Mart is definitely more accessible than, say, Lisa Kline or Fred Segal.

Big stars seem to recognize, though, that there's some profit in marketing to the middle to upper middle class. For example, Sarah Jessica Parker or Amanda Bynes' lines for Steve and Barry's or any of the number of celebrities or high end designers who've worked with H & M. I guess "cheapening the image" is not as much of an issue as making a buck.

Then you have celebs who go all out for their lines--like DVB, William Rast, etc, which, I will admit, I'm always drawn to. And, in full disclosure, I'm usually more drawn to certain clothes or accessories if shopintuition.com or Kitson shows me that one of my favorite celebs wore or has them. I guess, in some way, it's how I can partake of that lifestyle--just like this reading was talking about.